Every Fraudulent Transaction Prices Almost U.S. $4 for Each $1 Misplaced to Fraud
SINGAPORE, July 7, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — LexisNexis® Threat Options launched the newest Asia-Pacific version of the LexisNexis® True Price of Fraud™ Examine, which surveyed 387 danger and fraud executives in Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand. The research analyzed fraud developments in retail, ecommerce, monetary providers and lending industries and spotlights key ache factors associated to new digital fee strategies and transaction channels.
The research discovered the price of fraud rose 10% – 16% throughout APAC from 2019 pre-pandemic ranges. The LexisNexis Fraud Multiplier™ decided that for each U.S. $1 misplaced to fraud prices the group a mean of $3.99, in comparison with $3.50 in 2019. The price of fraud per transaction was increased than common, costing digital banks and different lenders $6.33. Different new fee channels, equivalent to purchase now pay later (BNPL) and digital wallets, price companies $4.75 for each greenback misplaced to fraud.
Fraudsters advanced techniques in parallel with the adjustments in shopper habits introduced on by the pandemic. A latest Cybercrime Report confirmed customers made a major shift to cellular transactions, which now accounts for 75% of all transaction visitors globally. Whereas in-person transactions stay the preferred point-of-sale channel, fraud happens extra in on-line channels than cellular channels. Inside the cellular channel, 34% of fraud happens by cellular net browsers.
Key findings from the True Price of Fraud Examine – APAC version:
- Fraudsters Goal Various Finance Suppliers – Competitors within the BNPL market is accelerating globally, led by native, homegrown gamers throughout markets, in accordance with the research. BNPL suppliers recorded a 65% leap in new account creations, which aligns with the sturdy progress in distant on-line and cellular transactions. Nonetheless, BNPL suppliers additionally account for greater than one-tenth of fee losses, which is disproportionately increased than the typical quantity of transactions by different fee channels.
- Identification Verification Challenges – The highest contributor to fraud losses for companies stays the lack to determine artificial identities and verifying and authenticating identities utilizing attributes equivalent to telephone numbers, electronic mail addresses, behavioral evaluation and units. Ecommerce retailers specifically discover id verification difficult because it requires discovering a steadiness between offering a seamless buyer expertise and implementing step-up authentication and safety measures.
- Adoption of a Fraud Administration Framework – Nearly all digital banks and different finance suppliers together with BNPL and digital wallets haven’t but absolutely built-in cybersecurity and operations into fraud prevention processes. Findings additionally present that organizations will not be broadly utilizing synthetic intelligence (AI) and machine studying (ML) fashions for fraud detection, weakening mitigation efforts. Proportion of organizations utilizing numerous capabilities to combat fraud:
- Guidelines-based Approaches – 52%
- Crowdsourcing – 36%
- Social Media Intelligence – 33%
- Cybersecurity Alerts – 25%
- AI/ML Fashions – 21%
“Organizations are combating a troublesome battle in opposition to fraudsters within the new regular,” mentioned Thanh Tai, director of fraud and id technique, LexisNexis Threat Options. “Fraud is subtle and evolving exceedingly quick. We’re seeing a excessive quantity of fraud makes an attempt following a continued shift in the direction of digital channels spurred by the pandemic. This implies companies should combine a fraud detection and prevention strategy with each bodily and digital id attributes to boost buyer expertise, keep aggressive and keep away from losses.”
The True Price of Fraud APAC research surveyed 387 danger and fraud executives in retail, ecommerce and monetary providers/lending throughout Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand. Knowledge assortment occurred throughout February/March 2022 and survey questions reference the previous 12 months.
Obtain a duplicate of the True Price of Fraud Examine – APAC Version or register to attend the LexisNexis Threat Options True Price of Fraud APAC webinar on Tuesday, 19 July, 11am SGT to be taught extra.
About LexisNexis Threat Options
LexisNexis® Threat Options harnesses the facility of information and superior analytics to offer insights that assist companies and governmental entities scale back danger and enhance choices to learn folks across the globe. We offer knowledge and know-how options for a variety of industries together with insurance coverage, monetary providers, healthcare and authorities. Headquartered in metro Atlanta, Georgia, we now have places of work all through the world and are a part of RELX, a worldwide supplier of information-based analytics and determination instruments for skilled and enterprise clients. For extra data, please go to www.danger.lexisnexis.com and www.relx.com.
+852 9883 9321
SOURCE LexisNexis Threat Options